The R-1 visa category is for religious workers.  It allows for temporary employment as a minister or in another religious occupation.  The R-1 allows for an initial stay of up to 30 months, which can be extended up to an additional 30 months.  The category can allow for a natural transition to the EB-4 green card category for religious workers.